In modern day construction, post brackets are indispensable and form the backbone of relatively temporary structures like- fence, barrier, tent, pergolas, shelters, greenhouse and other forms of light construction. These anchors come in various shapes and sizes and serve to fasten or bolt together the basic components of these constructions. Being made of steel, they are highly durable and provide overall strength and stability to the structure. They are popular because of their ease of usage, wide applicability and sustainability. They come in different protective surface coatings viz. hot dip galvanized, zinc coated, powder coated, plastic coated, painted etc.
Types of Post Brackets
There are five basic kinds of fence post brackets:
- Ground screw/ screw pile/ helical pile: They are vital for contemporary construction foundations and eliminate the necessity for any kind of excavation and use of concrete. This renders them as a very cost-effective and time saving option, without compromising on durability. They can be just drilled into the ground, keeping the surroundings untouched.
- Post Spike: They are metal spikes bearing one sharp end, which is buried underground as base and offer a strong anchor for timber posts held at the other end.
- Post Support Bracket: They are the much popular steel post brackets for wooden constructions. Their shape varies per fixing place. The common examples are post anchor brackets of L type, T type, U type and H type. Fence post repair bracket is devised to erect timber fence post easily and effectively. It protects the bottom of the wood fence from moisture, termite, decay etc.
- Adjustable Anchors: They are so called because their height and width can be manually adjusted according to demand, at any stage, even after installation. This property enables them to be used in all sorts of connecting parts.
- Post Base: They are round, square or TT post base steel structures, which are popularly used when posts are installed into concrete or any other hard surface with nails and screws. Fence post support bracket are common ingredients in fence posts, pergolas, decks, canopies etc.
Benefits of using post brackets
There are numerous benefits of using the different kinds of galvanized post brackets-
- Eliminates the necessity of excessive digging.
- Totally or partially reduces the effect of frost heave: Frost heave is a phenomenon that occurs when there is freezing of water and expansion of ice. The consequent pressure that builds up on the posts, is powerful enough to heave or throw them out of the ground. This might result in bending or breaking of the structure built on these posts.
- Drops time required for installation.
- Provides protection to grounded wood posts: Some brackets for fence posts are designed to allow water drainage below the level where wood posts have been planted. This aids in prolonging the life of the wooden posts.
- Can cut through small rocks, asphalt and tree roots: fence post mounting bracket facilitate easy slice-through or push-around unforeseen underground obstacles that hinder progress of your construction venture.
From the size, there are 6 x 6 post brackets, 4 x 6 post brackets etc; from the usage, there are wood post brackets, patio post brackets, post saddle brackets, post footing bracket.